Main Scripture - Acts 5:33
If God is not treated as God, and Him being our primary focus of worship, all our efforts will be empty shouts.
You need to trust God even when things are bad. Your attitude makes the difference.
We need to learn to balance between the blessings of the Kingdom and the responsibilities that come with being part of the Kingdom of God.
In the past when people used to receive Christ they signed a pledge being willing to die for the sake of the Gospel.
- The Church today signs a pledge of receiving blessings and when they don't receive they quit their faith.
- You cannot please God through works (reading the word, praying, fasting etc). He is more interested about the state of your heart.
1 Peter 1: 13
You need to prepare your mind for action:
- Somewhere between focusing on just blessings & no responsibilities and serving God to get His attention there is a middle ground that realizes that privileges come with responsibilities
- How we see God determines how we relate to Him
- Salvation is a free gift by grace
- There is a huge difference between serving to be saved and serving because you are saved.
- Because I am I do, I don't do to become.
Religion is more dangerous than paganism; the one who is saved is more dangerous than the one who is not saved.
- Religion is diluted Christianity!
You can not fall under the power of the Holy Spirit and your life doesn't change
- There must be proof that the Almighty God has touched your life
For us to be effective in what God has ordained we need to have pure hearts
3 Attitudes seen in the Church:
1. An attitude of hostility towards genuine Christianity
- People get irritated by the faithful behavior of others
- Many believers have been discouraged by how their fellow brothers have spoken against them
- Why is the attitude of people wrong? Why are people not happy with God?
They are 2 types of people
I. Sadducees are people who are very intellectually connected
• because they think they know so much they scrutinized everything about the Gospel
•Sin is absolute
Hostility towards God is an attitude that tries to justify your wrong behavior
- A religious spirit is not an honest spirit
- Churches are weak because Christians are hostile to genuine Christianity
II. Pharisees - they prefer to perform rituals without anything in them
- The strength of a man is not in the strength of his voice
- Many people talk Christian talk but they don't know God
- Those who know their God will be strong
- Vocabulary is not the trick; it’s the source of your words that makes the difference
• It’s not what you say, its where its coming from. If the source of your words is not from God, it’s just pep talk.
2. An attitude of neutrality
- Nice people want to please you and in your absence they back stab you!
- Never be lukewarm...be either hot or cold
- Although Jonathan knew the kingship of David, he still pledged his allegiance to both David and Saul.
- Don't be a hypocrite
- Never gossip about others - normal grownups are open with each other
- Never speak badly about your parents no matter how evil they are. God expects you to honor them.
3. An attitude of cooperation Acts 5:40-42
Rejoice even in your sufferings
- Have you ever partied when you have been judged worthy by God to release an offering
- As a Child of God you need to learn to cooperate with the Holy Spirit