God walked with Abraham and Isaac. He then walked with Jacob.
- When He decided to create a nation he picked Israel (Jacob)
Are you going to be willing to give all in order for God's will to be fulfilled?
- Decision to die to self
Jacob on the run from Esau did a stopover in Luz. While sleeping he saw a vision of angels ascending and descending up a ladder. God was at the top of the ladder. Jacob renamed the place Bethel.
Israel: Prince with God = First in line
A life of total surrender can only be made once you:
a) Have an encounter with God
- Without a divine revelation it is impossible to be totally committed to God.
Only the Holy Spirit can touch and transform hearts.
- Evangelism > evangelio > good news
- Through encounters, God can reveal Himself to people.
How did Jacob get the idea to change the name?
- Bethel means house of God.
- A person under prophetic covering proclaims things and they are established.
When God re-established the covenant with Jacob in Genesis 28:20-21, Jacob made a vow (commitment) that regardless of God doing the minimal He would be his God.
- Protection (covering)
- Bringing back to land of forefathers
*Jesus stopped for Bartimaeus and also for Zacchaeus. He is God of the poor and of the rich.
Jacob followed God with no strings attached. He followed for His Presence and not because of the great things He had promised.
b) You don't have high expectations
3 Commitments to be made (JACOB'S THREE VOWS)
1) You will be my God. God expects you to commit to accepting Him as your God.
Exodus 15:2 I will praise him
- When God is your God, you live to praise Him and to be His advertisement. Through me people will know there is God. You need to live a life that allows God to be seen & be known.
When you live for God:
- You will obey Him
- You will serve Him
- You will submit to His leadership & guidance
- You will live a life of gratitude and exaltation
2) I will build You a house. We have to devote all we are to His glory. The place to start is not building a house for God but making our bodies His temple
- The first place is not giving, you can't give without being
- The “being” always precedes the “doing” in the Kingdom of God. Before you devote your stuff, devote yourself
Study, observe and teach
Know> practice> share
3) I will give you my tithes. Stuff do not glorify God, they facilitate that God be glorified.
- He committed to devoting all he had to the glory of God.
- There was a 3 day walk between where Jacob was and where his flocks ended- which he accumulated over 20 years.
- After 20 years he still remembered
- The same way God doesn't forget His promises to us, He also doesn't forget people's vows to Him. So let us be careful and honor our vows every time
- Every time you make a vow, between the vow and where it is fulfilled there will be a testing by the devil to see if you are a true worshipper.
- If you want your children and children's to receive the fullness of God's blessing- be committed to Him.
- Israel became Israel because of Jacob. If you want your children and children’s children to be blessed, be serious with God and stay committed to Him.