What does it mean to love someone with the love of God?
We tend to find it hard to fully understand the love of God.
- If we truly believe God loves us, some of our struggles will disappear as we realise that He will not harm us since He has our best interest at heart.
1. The nature of God's love
God's love is unconditional
- He loves you with no strings attached.
- He loved you before the foundation of the world.
- Titus 3:5 - your works can never make God love you more or less as His love is unconditional.
- God's love is flawless and perfect
- Agape: It seeks the highest good for you.
- Love is the mightiest thing among the mighty.
- Where there is true love even the coldest heart becomes warm.
- John 3:16
- When you understand the love of God, it will lead you to a place of true surrender and worship.
There are two forces in life:
* Love - putting others first against all odds.
- Love gives.
* Selfishness - me first.
- Selfishness is concerned about receiving from others.
The maturity God expects from us requires self denial.
2 Corinthians 8:9
God wants you to be concerned about others and seeking their best interests.
- God is love and we should express His love to others.
- Many things you will do for others in tears as you have to go against your flesh.
- You need to allow the Holy Spirit to develop God's nature in us.
- As you live by the Holy Spirit, you will be able to love others unconditionally as Christ's expects you to do.
2. How did God demonstrate His love for us:
When you walk by the Spirit, it is only then you can love unconditionally.
- God reaches out to you even though you were dead to sin and separated to Him.
- May the Holy Spirit reveal God to you; His greatness, power and faithfulness.
We were dead in our trespasses and yet:
* He came to us - James 1:15
God came to you despite the sin you had committed.
- He demonstrated His love by coming to you and not you going to Him.
* He died for us - 1 John 3:16
It is God's desire for everyone to be born again and experience the gift of salvation.
- God demonstrated His love by dying for you whilst you were still a sinner.
* He rescued us
- From whatever bondage and mess you found yourself in.
- God expresses His love to you through the people He places around you.
- Colossians 2:13-14
- Nothing can separate you from the love of God. If God didn't spare His only Son, there is nothing He won't give you.
- The cross is the reflection of your victory.
- What should give you strength and courage to continue is the knowledge that God is fighting for you, always.
* He made us alive
- You are reconciled to God
- Romans 6:4 - 11
- Life is in God and death is in sin.
- Exodus 34:7-8
- If you truly understand and believe in God's love, you will live differently.
3. How we respond to God's love:
* Embracing it by faith.
You don't always feel like God loves you.
* Loving one another just as Christ loves us.
- You need to be intentional about loving others. This requires maturity.
- You need to lay your life down for others just as Christ did for you.
- You need to choose to love others on a daily basis.
- The world knows you are Christ's disciple based on how you love others.
- Romans 13:8 - You owe everyone genuine love.
- God's love through you should be expressed to people you come across. Be intentional about not hurting others.
- 1 Peter 1:22; Mathew 19:19; Ephesians 5:25
* Loving God
- Love God with all of you.
** Loving our enemies
Matthew 5:44; Mark 1:41
- Love always wins.
4. How to be ruled by God's love:
* Intimacy with the Word of God
- Do what the Word tells you to do.
** Intimacy with the Holy Spirit
* Intimacy with God through prayer