One of the major challenges today is Christians who have many Pastors teaching them as this ends up making them confused.
- Some people don't pay their tithe because they have been taught that it is not necessary whilst others don't pay their tithe because they are ignorant.
- What's important is to obey what God has said about tithing in the Bible.
A doctrine is a truth that exists throughout the Bible.
Tithing => School of Obedience
When you give your tithe, it is a reflection of your obedience to God.
- Offering is your reflection of your love for God.
Whatever, God gives you, He asks for you to give Him only a portion.
1. Eden - Genesis 2:16-17
God gave Adam and Eve the entire Garden He had planted except the tree of good and evil.
- God sets aside a portion for Himself to see how obedient we are.
- Even though God had given Adam and Eve the whole garden they still wanted His very small portion.
God feeds on your obedience.
2. Jericho - Joshua 6:19; 7:11
When Israel entered the Promised Land, God gave them everything except Jericho's plunder.
- Sadly, one of the Israelites took some of the plunder that God had said no to. This caused Israel to lose a war.
- God always preserves a small portion for Himself to test your obedience.
When God gives us everything, Man is still not satisfied and wants to take what is set aside for God.
God gives you 100%.
- 10% belongs to God
- 90% belongs to you
- A tithe is not giving to God but paying God back the 10% that belongs to Him.
You need to learn how to effectively use, invest, offer to God and save from your 90%.
- God gives you the light through reading His Word on how to prosper and use your 90%.
- Prosperity comes through work and information.
Meeting of Abram and Melchizedek - Genesis 14:18-20
Melchizedek gave Abram bread & wine, blessed and revealed to him that God was his source of victory.
- Melchizedek was the only King who offered Abram something.
- In response, Abram tithed by faith (primitive revelation).
** Isaac - Genesis 22:9-11
Isaac offered himself as a sacrifice.
- He was the type of Christ who offered to die for humanity.
- He did not give just a tithe but gave himself fully.
* Jacob - Genesis 28:20-22
You need to have your own experience with God where He will reveal Himself to you.
- Jacob understood that God is our Protector, Provider and Source.
- He gave his tithe to God by faith.
4. The law
Tithes are consecrated, they belong to God.
- Levictus 27:30, 32
- The tithe should remain untouchable and set apart for God.
You need to learn not to just read the Word but study it as well.
Three types of tithes:
* Levites (dekaton)
- Numbers 18:21; 25-26
- Tithe you give each time you receive an income.
- Your tithe is paid towards the rumeneration for those who serve God in full time ministries (Pastors).
- You give it to God and He gives it to the Pastors.
** Annual Tithe (ephidekaton)
Tithe given once a year
- God wants you use this tithe to go on holiday or treat yourself.
- It is a time which God wants you to rest and enjoy.
- Deuteronomy 14:22-23.
- It is a gift that God gives to you.
Tithe paid every three years.
- Deuteronomy 14:28; 26:12; 26:12
- It's a tithe given to the poor and vulnerable.
Do not touch what belongs to God.
5. Why the Law?
Why is God imposing the Law of tithe?
- Galatians 3:23-24
- The law was given as your personal tutor.
- It is there to strengthen your knowledge.
- It comes to prepare you.
- Everything starts and ends by faith through Christ.
Faith -> Law -> Faith through Christ.
6,:New Testament - Matthew 23:23
Fix your relationship with people first before giving to God.
- Pay your tithe and also ensure you practice the justice of God.
- Numbers 18:20-21; 1 Corinthians 9:13-13
7. General Implications
- When you tithe, it will cause generational blessings.
- The devil is stealing the blessing from you and future generations when you evoke curses for not tithing.
Jesus and Melchizedek
- As a descendant of Abraham, you need to give your tithe.
- You won't physical die when you don't tithe but will forfeit the blessings attached to tithing.
- Obey God and see what He will do in your life.
Jesus gave us His body and blood.
- The least we can give to Him is a tithe from our income.
A tithe is a share reserved for God
- Your blessings are attached to your obedience to God's Word.
When you obey God, He will never withhold any good thing from you.
- Your obedience will make God surprise you.
- When you don't pay your tithe, your problems will produce more problems.